Skip to main content

Three second half goals from Oisin Knox, Jack Larkin and Regix Madika steered Waterford FC into the second round of the Mark Farren Under 17 cup after the young Blues side got the better of South-East rivals Wexford FC at the RSC on Wednesday evening last.

In a very difficult game that saw the visitors make life hard for the hosts, the Blues came good in the final quarter to notch three times to advance where manager John Furlong was really pleased with their second half show.

The only chance of note in a first half of limited chances came on ten minutes when Wexford FC goalkeeper Colum Feeney produced a quite stunning save. Colm Whelan put in a brilliant corner kick from the left that found the head of Jack Larkin but somehow his point-blank header was kept out.

Oisin Knox did have the ball in the back of the Wexford FC net on 51 minutes but the striker was judged to have fouled the visiting keeper before Knox did find the breakthrough goal nine minutes later when he touched home  a cross from Ciaran Brennan..

Blues netminder Charlie Heffernan came to his sides rescue with a top class save on 68 minutes when Kyle Kennedy sent in a cross from the right that picked out Adham Masood but his superb volley was somehow tipped onto the crossbar.

Colum Feeney came to Wexford’s rescue at the other end three minutes later. Colm Whelan cracked in a shot from the right-side of the area after Oisin Knox’s original effort was blocked but Feeney turned the ball around the posts.

A second Waterford goal arrived on 77 minutes when a fine move saw Mike Nzongong and Colm Whelan link for Ciaran Brennan and after his shot was blocked into the path of Jack Larkin, the skipper found the far left-corner with a neat left-footed finish.

Wexford FC captain Liam Berry should have done better with a chance that came his way from a header on 82 minutes before the game was finally put to bed for the Blues two minutes later when Regix Madika finished from the left-side of the area after the visiting defence failed to deal with a Mike Nzongong right-wing cross.


WATERFORD FC: Charlie Heffernan, Kallum Broaders (Mike Nzongong `71), Adam Conway (Greg Waters `28), Torik Adegao (Lee Costello `40), Darragh Power, Jack Larkin, Dean Beresford, Ciaran Brennan (Jack O’Donnell `83), Colm Whelan, Oisin Knox, Regix Madika (Andrew Farrell `88)

WEXFORD FC: Colum Feeney, Jack Gallagher, Jason Daly (Nathan O’Connor `64), Cian Foley, Reece Murphy, Patrick Barron, Kyle Kennedy (James Esser `88), Caellum Travers Devlin, Liam Berry, Oscar Smith (Kian Kerr `64), Brandon Deady (Adham Masood `52)

Referee: Pat O’Connor assisted by John Falconer and Noel Ryan

PHOTO CREDIT: Paul Elliott

Leave a Reply