Skip to main content

Waterford FC 2-1 Dundalk

Waterford FC moved joint top of the Premier Division after a superb 2-1 win against Dundalk in front of 3,500 at the RSC.

A brace from Izzy Akinade in first-half stoppage time had Waterford in a commanding lead before Ronan Murray halved the deficit before the half-time whistle had blown.

But the Blues defended well and ensured they maintained their unbeaten home record.

Michael Duffy was a threat down Dundalk’s right but he fired wide from two good opportunities.

Waterford came into the game and had their first real chance in the final ten minutes of the half; Izzy Akinade’s header from Aborah’s cross forcing Rogers into a good save.

But it was the home side who took an unlikely lead. Injury to Stephen O’Donnell meant six minutes of additional time – and Waterford took advantage. Rory feely swung in ball for Izzy Akinade to rise above Dundalk keeper Gary Rogers and head into the back of the net to give Waterford the lead.

That lead was doubled in the seventh minute of stoppage time. Garry Comerford fizzed the ball into the feet of Akinade. He held off three defenders before slotting the ball low into the far corner.

But the goals weren’t done yet; Ronan Murray stepping up to fire a superb free kick into the top corner to half the deficit.

Waterford started the second half well and Gavan Holohan went close with a low strike, before Pat Hoban saw his header easily saved by Vigouroux.

Paul Keegan had another chance for the Blues just passed the hour mark but he fired off the inside of the post and across the face of Rogers’ goal and clear.

Hoban had another great chance as the game entered the final quarter; firing wide after a good cross from Duffy on the left wing.

Dundalk continued to press and Robbie Benson drove from midfield but his low strike was narrowly wide of Vigouroux’s post.

Waterford were defending well before Dylan Barnett cut in from the right to force Rogers into a smart save as the Blues. But it mattered little as Waterford FC held on to beat Dundalk 2-1.

Leave a Reply