Skip to main content

Waterford FC fell to a 3-0 defeat against St Patrick’s Athletic in Richmond Park on Friday night.

Second-half goals from Achille Campion and Michael Leahy (2) send the Blues home empty handed.

Alan Reynolds made four change from the Blues’ FAI Cup win in Drogheda last weekend. Matthew Connor, Dylan Barnett, Sander Puri and Courtney Duffus replaced Niall Corbet, Garry Comerford, Paul Keegan and Noel Hunt.

The Blues started well with plenty of possession but it was St Pat’s who almost grabbed the lead with an ambitious strike from distance. Bastien Hery was robbed of possession in midfield but Jake Keegan’s attempted lob of Blues keeper Matthew Connor never troubled the netminder.

The Blues almost hit the front after 18 minutes. Izzy Akinade’s header found Courtney Duffus in the penalty area but he couldn’t get enough behind his strike at goal and his shot was saved.

Sander Puri had two great chances within 60 seconds midway through the half; twice the midfielder got through on goal but twice St Pat’s keeper Brendan Clarke saved.

Jake Keegan had a golden opportunity to take the lead just beyond the half hour. Achille Campion played the ball across the penalty area but Keegan scuffed his strike wide from a great position.

Puri had another good chance in stoppage time at the end of the first half but again Clarke was equal to the effort.

Dessie Hutchinson and Courtney Duffus linked up to set up Akinade for the strike but his effort was well blocked.

St Pat’s captain Ian Bermingham was next to threaten but his low driven effort rolled wide of Matthew Connor’s post.

And the home side did hit the front nine minutes into the second half. Darragh Markey found space inside the penalty area for a shot that Matthew Connor saved but Achille Campion was first to the rebound to make it 1-0.

The Blues looked for a response and Akinade and Duffus linked up on the edge of the St Pat’s penalty are but Duffus dragged his strike wide.

The home side doubled their lead with a little less than 20 minutes left on the clock. Ian Bermingham’s corner found the head of Michael Leahy and he headed beyond Connor for 2-0.

A Courtney Duffus strike dropped wide of the target before St Pat’s made it 3-0. Again Bermingham sent in the cross and Leahy headed beyond Connor to seal the three points for the home side.

St Patrick’s Athletic: Clarke, Madden, Toner, Desmond, Bermingham; Markey, Clifford (Brennan 25), Lennon, Leahy; Keegan (Doona 85), Campion (Turner 90).

Waterford FC: Connor, Feely (Keegan 67), Browne, Webster, Barnett (Baba 88); Hutchinson, Holohan, Puri (Wilson 71), Hery; Akinade, Duffus.

Referee: Ben Connolly

Leave a Reply