Skip to main content

Waterford FC exited the FAI Cup at the quarter-final stage after a 2-1 defeat to UCD on Friday night.

Conor David and Timmy Molloy had UCD in front before Stanley Aborah’s penalty gave the Blues a lifeline but it wasn’t enough as Alan Reynolds’ side lost out.

Waterford FC made four changes from the defeat against St Pat’s the previous week. Niall Corbet replaced Matthew Connor in goal with Paul Keegan, Dean O’Halloran and Garry Comerford coming in for Rory Feely, Sander Puri and Courtney Duffus.

Garry Comerford’s long throw from the left was flicked on by David Webster and needed UCD keeper Conor Kearns to punch clear with Gavan Holohan waiting as the Blues started brightly.

But despite having much of the early possession, it was UCD who took a 20th-minute lead. Greg Sloggett did well down the right and his excellent low cross found the run of in-form UCD striker Conor Davis who flicked the ball beyond Blues keeper Niall Corbet to make it 1-0.

And UCD doubled their lead six minutes later. Timmy Molloy picked up possession on the edge of the Blues box after a corner wasn’t cleared and he curled into the top corner of Corbet’s goal.

The Blues looked to get back into the game as David Webster pushed forward from defence to find Dean O’Halloran on the right but his return was well defended.

Gavan Holohan went close as half time approached as he picked up possession from Dylan Barnett but his powerful drive was just over the crossbar as UCD lead 2-0 at the break.

Staney Aborah’s free kick was the first Blues chance of the second half as he found the head of Webster to flick on but UCD keeper Kearns was there to collect before Courtney Duffus.

Midway through the second 45, Dylan Barnett’s free kick looked to cause problems but Rory Feely’s header was just wide.

Courtney Duffus looked to lob Kearns as the half wore on but the keeper retreated well to save. Stanley Aborah was also looking to find a breakthrough but his free kick struck the top of the UCD wall.

But it was Aborah who gave the Blues a lifeline. Rory Feely was fouled inside the penalty area by Gary O’Neill and Aborah sent keeper Kearns the wrong way to half the deficit.

But as much as they tried the equaliser wasn’t to be found as UCD advanced to the semi-finals.

UCD: Conor Kearns; Daniel Tobin, Liam Scales, Josh Collins, Evan Osam; Neil Farrugia (Daire O’Connor 84), Greg Sloggett, Gary O’Neill, Jason McClelland; Timmy Molloy (Paul Doyle 81), Conor Davis (Yoyo Mahdy 87).

Waterford FC: Niall Corbet, Dylan Barnett, Kenny Browne, David Webster, Garry Comerford; Bastien Hery, Gavan Holohan, Dessie Hutchinson (Stanley Aborah 46), Paul Keegan (Rory Feely 59); Dean O’Halloran, Izzy Akinade (Courtney Duffus 37).

Referee: John McLaughlin

Leave a Reply