Skip to main content

Waterford FC bowed out of the EA SPORTS Cup at the semi-final stage after a 4-2 extra time defeat away to Derry City.

It was the Blues second trip to Derry in a week but it wasn’t to be as the home side advanced to the final.

Two debut goals for Walter Figueira weren’t enough but the Blues will take plenty of positives ahead of next Sunday’s FAI Cup match.

The sides were even in the opening stages and Ciaron Harkin fired into the side netting. At the other end, Rory Feely forced Derry keeper Nathan Gartside into a smart save.

The Blues took the lead after 24 minutes. Walter Figueira took advantage as Darren Cole’s headed backpass was short and the striker got the better of keeper Gartside before firing into the empty net.

Matthew Connor saved well from Gillespie before Rory Feely cleared off the line at the other end.

O’Connor and Lunney both had chances at the half wore on but it was Derry City who levelled on the stroke of half time. Tom Holland took down Barry McNamee and David Parkhouse equalised from the spot.

Figueira and Duggan had chances before Derry took the lead. Parkhouse was given too much space 25 yards from goal and the striker found the bottom corner.

Alan Reynolds’ side equalised with six minutes of normal time remaining; Michael O’Connor and JJ Lunney did the work to set up Rob Slevin and his cross was brilliantly met at the near post by Figueira to fire home as the sides couldn’t be separated after normal time.

Kenny Browne made an important block early in extra time before David Parkhouse scored again when he finished from Jamie McDonagh’s cross to give the home side a 3-2 lead.

Rob Slevin was sent off on the stroke of half time in extra time for a second yellow card and two minutes into the second period, Parkhouse’s header deflected off substitute Lynch and found the bottom corner to make it 4-2.

Another break in play followed, after a poor Jack Malone tackle on Rory Feely, which saw Karolis Chvedukas get attention from the previous phase, but the Blues couldn’t find a way back into the game and Derry progressed to the final.

Leave a Reply