Skip to main content

Waterford FC kept up their good recent Premier Division form with a 2-1 win over Bohemians in Dalymount Park on Friday night.

After picking up four points from the last two league matches, Tom Holland’s strike six minutes from time ensured another impressive result on the road for the Blues after beating Cork City on the road last time out.

The Blues started well and had a chance after just five minutes. Sam Bone’s cross-field ball found the run of Rory Feely and he picked out Walter Figueira but he was crowded out in the penalty area.

Bohs had an early chance of their own after nine minutes. Scott Allardice crossed, Andre Wright forced Matthew Connor into a smart save. The ball rebounded to Luke Wade-Slater whose struck the crossbar before Connor saved another effort.

Alan Reynolds’ side struck the front after 12 minutes. Georgie Poynton’s corner found the head of Rory Feely who powered towards goal. Keeper Talbot got a hand to it but it bounced of Wade Slater and dropped into the back of the net.

Zack Elbouzedi had a golden chance to make it 2-1 two minutes later. Will Fitzgerald sent the attacker through but he waited too long to shout and the Bohs defence retreated to make the block.

Scott Allardice forced Connor into a save before the Blues struck the post. Fitzgerald slipped the ball into Figueira but his effort came back off the far post.

Connor saved again from Allardice before James Finnerty headed wide after a good Wade-Slater delivery. The keeper saved again as half-time approached; this time from Ryan Graydon after Andre Wright’s through ball.

Bohemians levelled 13 minutes into the second half as Danny Grant, who replaced Luke Wade Slater a minute earlier, fired at goal and it was Ryan Tierney that got the final touch that took the ball past keeper Matthew Connor.

Youngster Dawson Devoy had an effort saved by Connor soon afterwards as Bohs looked for a winner before the Blues had their first chance of the second half on 75 minutes when Michael O’Connor fed Figueira, but James Talbot was equal to the task.

And it was Blues that grabbed the match winner on 84 minutes. Michael O’Connor retrieved Kevin Lynch’s cross and he back-heeled into the path of Tom Holland and he brilliantly beat Bohs keeper Talbot with a superb left-footed strike from just inside the penalty area.

The home side had late claims for a penalty turned down in the final seconds as the Blues held on to secure another important three points.

Bohemians: James Talbot, Derek Pender, James Finnerty, Rob Cornwell, Andy Lyons, Ross Tierney, Scott Allardice, Dawson Devoy, Ryan Graydon (Ryan Swan 84), Luke Wade Slater (Danny Grant 57), Andre Wright

Waterford FC: Matthew Connor, Rory Feely, Kenny Browne (Shane Duggan 46), Maxi Kouogun, Kevin Lynch, Tom Holland, Sam Bone, Georgie Poynton, Will Fitzgerald (Michael O’Connor 60), Zack Elbouzedi (Cory Galvin 71), Walter Figueira

Referee: Neil Doyle

Leave a Reply