Skip to main content

Waterford FC’s U13s ended their season with a 5-1 win over Athlone Town to brilliant claim the U13 Shield Cup.

After a great win over Cabinteely in the previous round, Waterford went into the game in good form and started the match on the front foot. Conor Tobin had the first chance of the game on seven minutes when he got free inside the area, but Athlone keeper Syzmon Skura made a fine save.

Artem Izhko went close to the breakthrough goal seconds later when he got on the ball inside the area, but his shot whistled inches over the crossbar before the Blues got the lead goal from their early dominance on 12 minutes.

Callum Costello, who was in great form in front of goal during the league for Waterford, was the man that got the goal when the Carrick youngster latched onto the ball inside the penalty area before drilling his effort past Athlone keeper Skura that put his side in the driving seat.

The visitors had their first chance of the contest on 25 minutes when Taylor Slevin burst into the area, but keeper Jason Healy made a fine save before the Blues doubled their lead seven minutes later when Darragh Doyle rifled an unstoppable effort from just outside the area to the roof of the net past Syzmon Skura.

Athlone got themselves back into the game two minutes before the sound of the half time whistle when Jack Allen sent in a cross into the area that picked out the run of Brandon Wykes and he beat Jason Healy with a neat finish from 10 yards.

Eoin Hogan regained a two-goal lead for Waterford with a quite stunning goal on 46 minutes when the youngster cracked in a shot from 25 yards that flew into the top corner of the net past a helpless Athlone keeper.

Blues defender Tyler Nolan came to his sides rescue with a brilliant block to deny Athlone a second goal on 64 minutes when visiting attacker Conor Bracken fired in a shot, but his effort was kept out before the Blues put the game to bed with two goals in the final six minutes.

Romeo Akachukwu put daylight between the two teams when he added a fourth goal for his side on 74 minutes with a superb right-footed strike before Artem Izhko put the icing on the cake for the young Blues with a tremendous free kick that gave the Athlone keeper no chance whatsoever.

The final whistle from referee PJ O’Keeffe was greeted with great celebrations from the Waterford players as they celebrated a fantastic achievement with Under 19 player Niall O’Keeffe on hand to present the medals and the Shield to a delighted Blues skipper Mikey Carroll with Artem Izhko named man of the match.

Waterford FC: Jason Healy, Adam Coyne, Shayne McDonald, Adam Queally, Callum Costello, Daniel McGrath, Mikey Carroll, Romeo Akachukwu, Artem Izhko, Darragh Doyle, Conor Tobin, Tyler Nolan, Sean Keane, David Leavey, Callum Geoghegan, Mark Calugar, Eoin Hogan.

Athlone Town: Syzmon Skura, Gordon Ferry, Daire O’Connor, Ajay Cleary, Taylor Slevin, Fola Odekumle, Brandon Wykes, Kealan Connell, Jack Allen, Cillian Geary, Conor Bracken, Tommy Farrell, Paul Keegan, Jack Smith, Scott Griffith, Luke Raeside, Liam Staunton, Kealam Mullin, Ben Manning, Jack Devine.

Referee: PJ O’Keeffe. Assistants: Ian O’Keeffe and John Falconer.

Leave a Reply