Skip to main content

A stunning 94th-minute Shane Griffin strike snatched all three points for Waterford FC with a 2-1 win at home to Derry City on Friday night.

Kevin O’Connor threatened first but his free-kick on five minutes was over the bar.

For the visitors, former Blues’ player Walter Figueira went close midway through the first half. The striker met Stephen Mallon’s cross but fired just wide of the far post.

Michael O’Connor had the first attempt on target for the home side on 29 minutes but his left-footed strike was well saved by Derry keeper Peter Cherrie.

But it was Derry who took the lead on 32 minutes. Kevin O’Connor fouled Jamie McDonagh on the right, and his quick free-kick set Stephen Mallon away and he fired left-footed past Brian Murphy.

But the teams were level at the break when a spectacular effort levelled minutes before the break. Kevin O’Connor’s corner kick saw Graham Cummins link up with Ali Coote, before Cummins found Sam Bone to busy an unstoppable left-footed strike past Cherrie into the top corner.

O’Connor’s set-pieces continued to cause problems into the second period but Peter Cherrie did well to tip his curling effort around the corner.

Derry continued to threaten and Jack Malone looked set to strike on goal but Kevin O’Connor made a vital tackle to prevent the strike from close range.

At the other end, Michael O’Connor when close after good build-up from Will Longbottom and Kevin O’Connor, but he headed narrowly wide.

O’Connor went close again before Akin Odimayo had a great chance to win the game as he went through down the right but Cherrie saved well.

But up stepped Shane Griffin to grab all three points with a stunning strike deep into stoppage time. Michael O’Connor’s shot was blocked and the ball dropped to Griffin to fire a rocket past Cherrie from 25 yards in the 94th minute for the three points.


Waterford FC: Brian Murphy, Tyreke Wilson, Graham Cummins, Robbie McCourt, Kevin O’Connor, Sam Bone, Akin Odimayo, Ali Coote (Will Longbottom 75), John Martin (Shane Griffin 75), Matty Smith, Michael O’Connor.

Derry City: Peter Cherrie, Eoin Toal, Colm Horgan, Danny Lupano, Ciaron Harkin, Jamie McDonagh (Conor Clifford 73), Conor McCormack, Tim Nilsen (Adam Liddle 69), Stephen Mallon, Mark McChrystal, Walter Figueira (Jack Malone 62).

Referee: Sean Grant (Wexford).

Leave a Reply