Skip to main content

Calum Costello scored a stunning first-ever Senior goal as Waterford FC left Turners Cross with their 16th Munster Senior Cup and a first since victory over Cork City back in 2013 as a youthful side beat Kerry FC on Leeside on Monday evening last.

After home wins in the previous round against Wilton United and Rockmount, the Blues came up against a full-strength Kerry FC, who were going in search of a first ever Senior title, but the victors opted to remain loyal to a mostly Under 20’s selection.

It was a first for the other goal scorer Connor Evans as he opened the scoring for the Blues four minutes before the sound of the half-time and after Ryan Kelliher levelled for Kerry early in the second-half, Costello’s magically right-footed effort sealed the deal despite five added second-half minutes.

The early chances fell Waterford’s way with Gbemi Arubi’s sixth-minute corner blocked out for a corner-kick that saw Ryan Burke send the ball into the danger area where the former St. Pat’s man rattled an ambitious overhead kick off the crossbar.

It was the on-loan Kacper Skwierczyński that produced the first save of the game four minutes later when he cut in from the left, but Kerry keeper Aaron O’Sullivan made a smart stop before match winner Calum Costello had a goalbound effort blocked by Andrew Spain in Waterford’s bright opening.

Ryan Burke was just off target with a free-kick on 28 minutes as the youthful Blues managed by Sean Geoghegan continued to probe for the opening. That goal did arrive four minutes before the break when Ronan Mansfield played the ball forward from defence that wasn’t dealt with by the Kerry defence, and Connor Evans took full advantage to race clear before slotting the ball under keeper Aaron O’Sullivan.

The second-half was less than a minute old when the Blues had a big chance to double their lead when Basit Ishola slipped Skwierczyński clear on goal with only the netminder to beat, but O’Sullivan stood his ground to save.

Waterford’s dominance was undone by an equalising Kingdom goal on 51 minutes. When Blues keeper Matt Connor kept out a header from half-time substitute Kennedy Amechi, the ball was recycled on the right as Nathan Gleeson put in a cross where Ryan Kelliher was on hand to notch a 20th Kerry career goal.

There were chances at either end as both teams went in search of a winning goal with O’Sullivan was quick off his line to deny Anthony Adenopo before Kelliher agonisingly failed to connect with a Kevin Williams cross.

Waterford struck for a golden winning moment on 79 minutes when Ronan Mansfield once again cleared from his own half that saw Calum Costello pick up the ball, and after making space for himself, the former Carrick United player unleashed a shot that beat Aaron O’Sullivan at his near post.

Ishola and Burke both went close to notching a third, but neither could find the net, and when the final-whistle sounded Waterford were celebrating a 16th Munster Senior Cup with captain Ryan Burke receiving the famed cup from John Buckley Munster FA chairman with Costello named player of the match.

KERRY FC: Aaron O’Sullivan, Sean O’Connell, Andrew Spain, Ethan Kos, Sean McGrath (Victor Udeze 90), Ronan Teehan (Cian Brosnan 84), Ryan Kelliher, Okwuy Okwute (Kennedy Amechi 46), Nathan Gleeson, Kevin Williams, Daire McCarthy.

WATERFORD FC: Matt Connor, Joseph Forde, Adam Queally, Ronan Mansfield, Ryan Burke, Kacper Skwierczyński (Calum Flynn 84), Mikey Carroll, Calum Costello (Dylan Warren 90), Basit Ishola, Connor Evans (Zak O’Sullivan 79), Gbemi Arubi (Anthony Adenopo 46).