Skip to main content

Dessie Hutchinson, Garry Comerford and John Martin scored as Waterford FC ended the season in style with a 4-1 win at home to Limerick in the RSC on Friday night.

The Blues got off to a dream start after just three minutes. John Martin was fouled inside the penalty area and Hutchinson stepped up to send keeper Jack Brady the wrong way.

Izzy Akinade could have doubled the lead but his header hit the crossbar before the visitors levelled on 10 minutes. Connor Ellis progressed down the Limerick right and pulled the ball back for Colm Walsh-Loghlen to level.

But the Blues took the lead again minutes later. Dessie Hutchinson’s curling free kick was met by the head of defender Garry Comerford and he powered his header past Brady to make it 2-1.

Limerick striker Ellis fired across the goal from a good position before Izzy Akinade forced Brady into a good save after John Martin’s through ball. Martin went close himself before half-time but his pulled his cross the target.

Bastien Hery found Derek Daly down the left but his powerful low strike was just wide as the second half progressed, before John Martin curled wide.

And the deserved third goal arrived 18 minutes into the second half. Akinade was fouled 20 yards from goal and Dessie Hutchinson’s deflected free kick found the back of the net with keeper Brady caught by the deflection.

Seven minutes later it was 4-1. Gavan Holohan whipped in the cross from the left and John Martin brilliantly headed past Brady to secure a comfortable win.

Waterford FC: Matthew Connor, Noe Baba, Garry Comerford, David Webster, Dylan Barnett, Dean O’Halloran (Gavan Holohan 68), Bastien Héry (Paul Keegan 62), Cory Galvin (Derek Daly HT), Dessie Hutchinson, John Martin, Izzy Akinade

Limerick FC: Jack Brady, Kilian Cantwell (Karl O’Sullivan 59), Connor Ellis (Danny Morrissey 68), Tomas O’Connor, Colm-Walsh O’Loghlen, Darren Murphy, Adam Foley, Ger Barry, Aaron Fitzgerald, Colman Kennedy, Barry Maguire (Cian Coleman HT)

Referee: Eoghan O’Shea

Leave a Reply