Skip to main content

The Blues fell to defeat on Friday night at the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium as Derry City emerged victors by three goals to nil.

After the brilliance that yielded an impressive home win against St. Patrick’s Athletic the previous Monday, Waterford FC slipped to back-to-back away defeats when going down to a Pat Hoban hat-trick against Derry City at the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium on Friday evening last. 

Hoban, who made the move from Dundalk to Foyleside in the transfer window, grabbed a first-half brace before completing his treble from the penalty spot after the Blues had defender Darragh Leahy red carded for a pulling down Paul McMullan that led to the penalty. 

Waterford were well in the game up to the point of conceding the first goal on 41 minutes before defensively collapsing for the concession of two poor goals with the loss of Darragh Power in the midway point of the first-half. 

There was nothing to separate the sides early in the game with both teams winning a number of corners, but neither keeper was tested before Derry’s Daniel Kelly having the best chance on 31 minutes when he got space on the right, but he fired wide of Sam Sargeant’s near post. 

The hosts took the lead ten minutes later when McMullan played a short free-kick to Michael Duffy, who got by the intentions of Joseph Forde before crossing into the centre where Pat Hoban stabbed home from close-range. 

It was disaster for the Blues as they conceded a second goal five minutes into added time following that injury to Power on 27 minutes when Duffy sent over a left-wing delivery that wasn’t dealt with by Kacper Radkowski, who was caught wrong side of his marker, and Hoban’s bicycle kick found the top corner. 

Derry extended their lead 13 minutes into the second-half when Paul McMullan was brought down by Darragh Leahy which saw referee Paul Norton produce red-card and point to the spot with Hoban notching his treble from 12 yards. 

This goal ended the game as a contest with Jordan McEneff just off target with a fine effort soon afterwards before Waterford’s only real glimpse at goal coming from Barry Baggley on 75 minutes after he took a pass from Padraig Amond, but couldn’t trouble Brian Maher from distance.

DERRY CITY: Brian Maher; Ronan Boyce, Mark Connolly (Shane McEleney ‘59), Cameron McJannet, Ben Doherty, Jordan McEneff, Adam O’Reilly (Sam Todd ‘68), Daniel Kelly, Paul McMullan, Michael Duffy (Danny Mullen ‘54), Pat Hoban.

WATERFORD FC: Sam Sargeant; Darragh Power (Joseph Forde ‘27), Ryan Burke, Grant Horton, Barry Baggley, Darragh Leahy, Kacper Radkowski (Robbie McCourt ‘57), Harvey Macadam (Romeo Akachukwu ‘81), Connor Parsons (Ben McCormack ‘81), Padraig Amond, Maleace Asamoah (Rowan McDonald ‘57).

Attendance: 3,133.