Skip to main content

A busy weekend was had for our academy, with all six of our teams in action across Saturday and Sunday. We caught up with each group to see how they got on.

MU14 – Kerry FC 1-4 Waterford FC

Our MU14 had a fantastic win on Sunday afternoon away to Kerry FC, as the Blues secured an impressive four-goals-to-one victory over the opposition.

The Blues got off to a quick start against Kerry, with a goal from Joel Obiesie from a corner inside the opening five minutes. Waterford continued to control the game throughout different periods, but the hosts didn’t make it easy for our young Blues.

We scored a second though an Ethan Owens volley from a cross by Temmy Gazal in the 2nd period to put us two-nil up. However, Kerry responded quickly to half the deficit minutes later

Moving into the final period, Waterford looked to finish the game strong, and eventually did so when Temmy Gazal found himself a brace to secure an important win for the Blues on the road.

Allowing Waterford to finsh the game off as 4-1 winners

MU15 – Waterford FC 3-1 Kerry FC

Our MU15 side picked up three points on Saturday afternoon also against Kerry FC, with a 3-1 win. After a shaky start that had the Blues 1-0 down from the penalty spot, Waterford reacted well and started to play good football and put pressure on Kerry where we got our reward right at the end of the first thirty which came from when a Kerry clearance fell to Conor Dempsey on the edge of the box who picked out Tiernan O’Brien in the box who slotted the ball in to the far bottom corner.

Waterford made 9 subs coming into the 2nd third and they settled in well moving the ball with a lot more intensity creating and getting the ball into good areas but not being able to capitalise on it. 

The Blues’ breakthrough came half-way through the last thirty when a clearance from our corner found Benny Martin just inside the box and his half volley was able to find the net. 

And Waterford sealed the game off then when Bobby Keohan picked up the ball on the edge of the box who found Tiernan O’Brien out wide who picked out Bobby’s run in the box for him to slot it home.

MU17 – Waterford FC 0-3 Treaty United FC

Our MU17 side were beaten by a well organised Treaty United team who played good football to create openings in the first half-hour of the contest. Adam Hearne was forced into action on multiple actions to turn away efforts on goal to safety. Treaty were rewarded for their play with a fine rifled effort from 30 yards out. They got a second just two minutes before half time as an under hit cross seemed to hang perfectly and fired into the Blues net.

Waterford emerged a different side after half time with a change of shape and personnel, as they began to push forward. Adam Dobbyn, Fidel Pululu, Mason Murphy and Zak O Sullivan entered the fray and pushed the team forward looking to probe the Treaty rearguard.

Treaty were awarded a penalty late on after some sloppy possession in the Waterford defensive half of the pitch was punished despite the best efforts of Adam Hearne and Matt Barrett, a penalty was ultimately awarded and dispatched.

MU20 – Cork City FC 2-2 Waterford FC

The MU20s continued their unbeaten start to the season with a hard-worked 2-2 draw away to Cork City FC on Saturday. 

A sloppy first half found the Blues 2-0 down through an own goal and a good finish from the hosts. 

After creating many chances, the Blues finally made the break through with Evan Geary being taken down in the box after a great Calum Flynn ball. Calum then stood up to put it past the Cork keeper.

The side kept pressing, hitting the woodwork twice, before finally finding the equalizer with a corner. A great delivery from Calum Costello found Tony Ebhonuaye to score his first Waterford FC goal.

A deserved point for the blues leaves them well places in the group with Treaty to visit the arena next week.

WU17 – Cobh Ramblers FC 0-4 Waterford FC

A winning start to the season for our WU17 team with a 4-0 victory away to Cobh Ramblers on Saturday afternoon.

Despite no game on the opening weekend of the season a week previous, it was the perfect start when Olivia Shannon opened the scoring after just three minutes in Cobh, latching onto Ellie O’Carroll’s through ball and expertly fired past the keeper. 

A hard-fought first-half saw plenty of chances created but it took until the final minutes of the half for the score to be doubled. Keira Burke’s corner kick wasn’t properly cleared, as Alexa Clancy fired into the top corner to make it 2-0. 

The second-half continued in the same vein with plenty of good football and chances created – and it paid dividend when a third goal arrived midway through the half. Cliodhna Malone played a superb through ball for Olivia Shannon and she made no mistake to beat the keeper for her second of the game. 

A good performance was rounded off 11 minutes from full-time with a fourth goal. Issy Kenna picked up possession wide before cutting inside to brilliantly fire into the top corner to round off a 4-0 win.

WU19 – Cork City FC 2-0 Waterford FC

Our WU19 side fell to a 2-0 defeat away to Cork City FC on Sunday afternoon in Bishopstown, as two first-half goals from the home side was enough to seal the game.

They will make the trip to Ferrycarrig Park next week to face Wexford FC, as they hope to get back to winning ways.